Friday, May 4, 2007

A Temporary Truce

This morning, upon entering the ceramics room with one of my students, I happened to notice something that would normally disturb the heck out of me. I was getting my pottery supplies out of the cabinet when I saw a spider, calmly hanging from a long strand of web, from the ceiling above the glaze area. This would be the perfect place for someone to walk into the little bugger. It was about a 1/4 of an inch big. So, I got a piece of paper towel, and amidst protest from my student, walked over to the spider. But instead of squishing it, I decided to very carefully tease it into a fold of the towel and walk it outside. I did warn it that I would smush it if it came at me. But it stayed in one spot. I carried it outside, and let it on the ground in the courtyard, by the fence where it would be safe.

The reason for telling you about this is that I NEVER save spiders. I don't like them. I'm pretty sure they don't like me. I haven't been in my loft in months because I know they are up there. And they have completely taken over my cabinets in my kitchen. But this one time...I just didn't feel like killing it. It wasn't until after I rescued it that I realized today was the day that Spiderman 3 came out. I didn't save the spider because of that, I just realized it afterwards. Weird.

So, this post is for you, little eight-legged one, wherever you may be. I wish your cousins were as benign. Then I wouldn't have to wage constant war on them all.

ta.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I hope he goes and tells all his spidey-friends to leave you alone.