Saturday, December 15, 2007

I Made Something

Thanks to scheduling at work, I had to work on Halloween night. So because I wouldn't be around for trick-or-treat-ers, I carved a pumpkin for the store, with the logo on it. People liked it, and it stayed up for a couple of days before biology ran its course in the unfortunate vegetable.

During its stay on the counter, a fellow in the store noticed it and spent a day or two tracking me down. He offered me a freelance job doing sculpture work for his company. They cast the decorative architecture that goes on fancy houses and old-style buildings. Really cool stuff.

So, here are some pictures of my first two projects. The first one, which my students at school called "the turkey" because of its color and shape (they are first and second graders, okay?), was a test. They wanted to see what I could do, and how well I could do it. When I was finished, they gave me this really big piece to do.

I must stress that I have never done anything like this before. I don't have a clue as to the names and technical terms of the various elements of the piece I did. The big leaf has a specific name, one which I cannot remember. Anyway, this is big for me, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm looking forward to the next challenge, doing a square column cap.

Shiny!

1 comment:

Meggish said...

OoooOoOOoooooOoo! Fancy!