Sunday, July 15, 2007

the score

A few weeks ago I was having some serious issues, which I made light of on this blog.

I just wanted to say that things are better.

First of all, (and this might sound strange to some), I have totally given over my life to God. That has been a complete release. My life hasn't gotten much easier, but now i know how to deal with it. I feel so much better. Its hard to explain, but if you want to chat about it, email me.

Second, I've started cleaning out my apartment. It doesn't look much better, but things are now in boxes; bags and bags of trash have been thrown out, and this week I plan on tackling my spider infestation in the kitchen cabinets with a vaccuum cleaner. There's still lots to do, but I have a handle on it now. Yay!

Third, I have a part time job. It is not even close to being enough to pay for things, but I'm getting there. I have hope because in a few weeks school will start, and I can start substituting. I'm working at Starbucks, which I plan on taking with me wherever I end up at the end of August, and working in the evenings. I like it. Its not very complicated, and the only hard part is not getting too flustered by waves of anxious, demanding customers ordering things like a venti half-decaf upside-down nonfat latte with 2 pumps of caramel and extra foam. Hehehe, yeah, you know who you are out there.

And finally, I'm on my own. It has been extremely difficult and unpleasant to not have money in my bank account, and having help from family, but on the other hand, I now know the absolute importance of finding work and have significant motivation to get my ass moving. Letting God take care of me helps too. I find that things are suddenly there for me, that all I need to do is reach out and take them. Again...hard to explain.

Extras are the Museum, of course, providing a welcome distraction on Sundays. We had our yearly Sail Crew testing today, and I am pretty sure I did okay. I just hope that all the hard work and hours and hours of driving will pay off, and this year I'll make crew, be posted on the Surprise, and we'll get to sail this year. It seems that the only thing in the way of our leaving dockside with our sails set is submitting the sail plan to the Coast Guard. The Sail plan is essentially a blue-print of the original sail layouts, the weights of the sails, their draw and effect on the ship's movement. It is apparently buried somewhere deep inside the Marine Archives in DC, and they are taking their sweet time trying to find it. It is the last hurdle. Soon. Very soon.

So, that's it! In a few weeks I hope to have moved in to a new place, somewhere nearer to or in San Diego, with a job or two and hopefully teaching in some form or another. I know it sound vague, but I have faith that it will work out.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Hello, I would like a venti half-decaf upside-down nonfat latte with 2 pumps of caramel and extra foam.

And are the biscottis non-fat?

Catherine said...

No, seriously, I'm glad to hear this. This is how I feel now, but with different issues. I Think you're further along than I am, but it's encouraging all the same!