Thursday, June 21, 2007

Last Day of School, First Day of Summer

Today is the day that all teachers wait for. Today was the First Day of Summer, and the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. well....for the kids anyway. We teachers are having brekkist and doing some cleaning and a bit of the turning in of the grades.

This last week has been one of the hardest weeks I've had in a long time. The whole thing brought back bittersweet memories of the last week of my senior year of high school. Only difference about that was to ease the depression I had moving to LA and USC to look forward to. Now I only have unemployment to stare in the face. *sigh*

This whole week I've spent signing year books, or rather doing elaborate drawings or portraits in year books. I never want to draw someone's face at their request again. Yesterday was spent saying goodbye to all the students I've come to care for so deeply, and trying very hard not to cry. I don't know if they will ever understand how much they affected me, and I know that I will probably see many hundreds more like them in the years to come, but still. Every year will be hard. The fate of the teacher.

So now I have to figure out what to do next. At the moment I'm going to sleep, and then get up early to finish grading finals and finish grades. Then I'm going to do my best not to dread too much yet get too excited about the series finale of a show that has been a very important part of my life for a long time. When the time comes, I will watch it, and hopefully be well rewarded by my faith in the SciFi Channel, then go to bed and get up early Saturday morning to subject myself to a wedding in Fresno.

Why oh why? *sob*

Anyway, cheers to the First Day of Summer and the Last Day of School. It was a good day.

No comments: