Monday, June 25, 2007

Wedding Madness

This weekend provided ample distraction from the pain of letting go of school and facing my future. My cousin Catherine got married on Saturday night to Matthew Williams, and though I doubt they will ever see this, I offer my congratulations. They seemed such the lovely couple. While I really wanted to see the wedding, my brother and I were there to see the madness of our family getting together for the first time in years. People that neither of us had seen in over a decade, people that didn't get along with the rest of the family, people whose minds have left them in uncertainty...they were all there.

To keep track of the madness and craziness, Matt and I kept a tally.


For a little clarification, Jodi is our Aunt, married to our mother's brother, Dennis, and The Girls are their kids. They've been estranged from our family for years, though Dennis is in contact with my grandparents on a regular basis. He's the most normal of them, but is chained to their madness, so we don't see much of him. The only member of my family that manages to get along with them or communicate with them at all is my brother, God bless him. Marian is my grandfather's sister. A few years back she was attacked by a dog, and ever since then has been searching for her mind. Its kind of sad, but she still does the craziest things, and this weekend was no exception. When you get her with my grandfather's other sister, Margaret (who is an elderly felon) and my grandmother in one room, chaos (and memory loss) ensues. If you can get around how sad it is, it is also pretty funny. Nice thing is that I don't think any of them are aware of what's happened to them.

Anyway, Marian took the prize for this weekend, with my grandmother coming in a close second. My grandmother earned lots of points for doing things like dipping the handmade biscotti (made by the mother of the bride) into her iced tea at the reception. Matt and I could hardly contain ourselves.

There are people who are on the list, but because of their tireless efforts to keep the weekend going smoothly, their craziness is being overlooked. I will mention that my brother earned himself a point on Sunday for frantically searching for his cell phone while in the car on the way home. He even made me get his bag from the back seat, search it, then call his phone a couple of times because he'd thought he'd heard it ringing. Then he stuck is hand into the pocket on his door (which he had just vigorously searched) and there it was. Despite passionate protest, he eventually gave in to having earned himself a point.

So, that was our weekend. Thanks to Catherine and Matthew Williams for providing us not only a beautiful wedding to attend, but also a long awaited family renunion where we could be entertained.

Cheers!

No comments: