Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Full Moon and the Best Pair of Binoculars!

Have you ever had one of those days where you just felt insufferably good? That was the day for me today. Or so it seemed as I neared the end of it.

I was scheduled for a six hour work shift (which turned out to be seven or so). But this is my kind of shift, because I was allowed to spend a good four hours of it doing artwork. I love doing the artwork. You know the boards above the Barista Bar? and behind the counter? the boards that tell you what the Daily Offering is, or the Coffee of the Week? Well, I get to do those at my store. My favorite thing to do on shift.

The top one I had total creative freedom on. Usually there is
a promo drawing they'd like you to copy, or in my case,
elaborate on. The one below was predetermined, and
I could find no fault with it. Very cool design.




One of my coworkers, Marc. Since we don't have any photos
of the employees,
I started doing custom portraits of them.
He's the third to make it onto the boards.


My favorite drink to make? A Venti Iced Caramel Macchiatto. First you put pumps of vanilla at the bottom, then the milk, then the ice, then the shots and finally the caramel. It creates this drink that is white from the bottom to about halfway up, then turns brown as it gets to the top, with great drips of golden caramel sinking to the bottom. It is a true work of art. I have never tasted it.

The Venti Iced Caramel Macchiatto, with,
as the customer ordered it, Insane CR
(lots and lots of extra caramel sauce).

My favorite thing to drink? A creation of a coworker of mine, a soy frappuccino. Now, if you are fans of soy and/or frappuccinos, don't go rushing to your local Starbucks asking for one. They don't exist. Baristas don't know how to make it. We are not really even supposed to use the blenders for soy. And the frappucinos are a pre-mixed base that work well for blending, whereas soy just creates a slushy drink. It doesn't exist. But it tastes sooooo good. I could drink several in a day and be happy.

The day went pretty well, considering that I am sick because of the changes in the weather. I helped a coworker change all the merchandise displays, and in return got to sort through our box of marked out items, scoring lots of free stuff. That made me happy.

Then I went to my folks place for dinner. Oh man. If ever there was a class on how to get stressed out, they'd be the first to teach it. I spent a few hours there, trying to help out. After some wine, my mom relaxed a bit, cheered up a little. I was able to banter with her and have a little fun. Jeff refused to feel better though, and that was a bummer.

As I stepped out of their house and looked up in the sky, I knew right then and there that there is way more to life than house problems and money problems and stress over packing and being sick and moving and getting jobs. There is the Moon. High in the sky, completely full, on a clear night. And tonight is special! Tonight, despite the fact that I am sick and want to sleep, I am staying up till 2:30 in the morning to watch one of the best and most beautiful Total Lunar Eclipses I'll probably ever see. Awesome! Proof that God is Amazing!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Sounds like a pretty amazing day... and your boards are so well done! Looking forward to hearing more about all of it when you come to Santa Barbara tomorrow :)

Catherine said...

I want to go to your starbucks JUST FOR THE ARTWORK.