Saturday, August 4, 2007

Packing

As I sit here packing up all of my stuff to move to a new habitat, I wonder at the weight of my boxes. I have 5 boxes of books packed up, and only one of them isn't that heavy because it is filled with comic books. The others are heavy enough to make me wish I had help.

I just finished packing a sixth box. It is smaller than the others, and I filled it every sketch book I could find. Filled it to the top. And when I picked it up to see how heavy it was, I discovered that it was fairly lightweight. I got to wondering, is that the weight of my art? Those sketchbooks represent the last 10 years of my sketches and drawings. They don't weigh much....what does that mean?

Enough waffle. Back to work!

Cheers

1 comment:

The Gossiper said...

Interestingly, the human heart only weighs 300grams. But my notebooks? With all of my notes carefully collected from extra courses in Geneva and at Oxford? With notes from lectures from special guest speakers, class notes, ideas I have in the middle of the night about Human Rights and the lack of post-modern emancipation? They seem so light in comparison. That is an interesting thought about the weight of our most cherished endeavours.